Christ Church, Linthwaite, Huddersfield

Our history

Christ Church, Linthwaite was one of a number of Commissioners' Churches (also known as 'Waterloo' churches) built in Yorkshire in the late 1820s. The Parliamentary grant helped to provide six new churches in the Huddersfield area: Golcar, Lindley, Paddock, Longwood, South Crosland and Linthwaite. Designed by architect Peter Atkinson Jnr., the foundation stone of Christ Church was laid on 9th April 1827 and the building was consecrated on 6th October 1828. The site and ground for the graveyard was given by Mr James Roberts of Broad Oak, Linthwaite. The first Vicar was Revd Nicholas Padwick who held that post for eight years.


The church is a Grade II listed building and is constructed of local dressed sandstone having Westmorland slated roofs.


In 1895 a new chancel was added, having been designed by the church architect Mr Hodgson Fowler , a new organ built and the church restored at a cost of £2,275, this during the incumbancy of Revd. Thomas Haworth MA. In 1902 a gallery was added, a reredos erected, the chancel and nave panelled and the church painted, all at a cost of £700.


In the Clerical Directory for 1906 the income the income of the living was £300, the area of the parish at 1,078 acres, the church accomodation at 700 and the population of the parish at 4,300. In this year land for a new graveyard was given by the Vicar and this was consecrated by Rt Revd Dr Eden, Lord Bishop of Wakefield.


The current organ was built by James J Binns in 1919 for Linthwaite Methodist Church and re-built by Wood of Huddersfield at Christ Church in 1992 when the Chapel was transferred to the Sunday School building.


In the North Aisle is the Lady Chapel established in 1943, and also the War Memorial. First placed in 1919 to commemorate those who died in the Great War and added to after World War II. The Clergy Vestry beyond the door on the opposite South side was added in 1955.

Within the churchyard in an interesting grave: that of Catherine Dennis who was brutally murdered in Linthwaite in 1891.

Below is an old photograph taken before the Chancel was added in 1898.

Of note is the large central pulpit, typical of a 'preaching house' of its day. A communion table can just be seen behind the pulpit and the communion rails either side. Note also the box pews.

The balcony shown in the photograph (below left) was removed at the time of the Chancel being added and the current one added later.

 

Image description
Image description

Church Lane, Linthwaite, Huddersfield HD7 5TA